Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Bittersweet Empty-Nester


As I talk to other moms, I realize that some are excited about the empty nest (time to celebrate!). Others are so sad, thinking about missing their kid(s) and being lonely. If I had not prepared myself well, I would definitely be in that second camp. 

I have unashamedly poured everything into my kids and their journeys for the past 20 years. At times, sadly, I have even found my identity through them and their accomplishments (not good).

As I prepare to send my girl off to university (boy is starting his third year) and realize this is it, I will officially be an empty nester, it's bittersweet ... but mostly sweet.

Sure, I will have lonely days. I will miss the constant activities and our lives and schedules being filled to the brim with XC, track, basketball, volleyball, band, swimming, soccer, football, choir, show choir, gymnastics, and many other things (yes, my kids actually participated in all these events and more). I will miss the noise in the house ... even the messes and piles of dirty laundry, but mostly, I will miss seeing their sweet faces and watching them grow into incredible humans.

But all is well. We made incredible memories. We lived life to the fullest. We made the moments count. And I have fulfilled (mostly ... I've been told they never really leave, which is good!) my duty as a mom by preparing them for the future (mostly-they can't cook much!) and gently and lovingly booting them out of the nest so they can start their own adult adventures.

They're not perfect! I was not a perfect mom, for sure. (Why did I yell so much?!) But God has blessed our lives, our family, and I have no regrets. I cherish these past two decades so much. 

So now, I look forward (but never forgetting the wonderful past or remembering to live in the moment of the everyday joys now-yes, even in the midst of a pandemic, joy CAN be found!) to seeing how God shapes them, how they maneuver through trials, and how they make big life decisions. I'm confident they will succeed. I'm confident they know we have their backs. And now, we (hubby and I) just sit back and enjoy the view ... and each other ... and maybe even a grandchild or 5 in the future!


1 comment:

  1. 🥰💜🥰💜🥰💜😭🥺- Love it!!!! I pray my kids think I am just as an amazing mother as you are!!

    ReplyDelete