Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Eyes On the Prize

A couple weekends ago, our family was at a basketball tournament. I know, no big surprise, right? As you know, Rachel is interested in playing basketball in college, so we're always hoping she plays well when just the right scout/coach is watching her.

That particular day, there was a whole row of scouts sitting right beside our court ... with their BACKS to the court that Rachel and her team were playing on. They had their eyes on older girls playing on the court behind us. 

In my mind, I kept thinking, "Turn around! You're missing the prize right in front of you!"

As I have reflected on this for the last couple weeks, I've wondered what prize I've missed that's been right in front of me all along. It's made me be more intentional about living in the moment; enjoying every good gift God gives to us.

Nothing could have captured my attention more than meeting with Rachel's orthopedic surgeon last Friday and hearing that she could have a serious infection ... or even cancer based on her most recent MRI. The doctor told us we needed to get more tests.

I'm overjoyed to say that her blood work indicated a few issues, but nothing life threatening. Now we wait, get more tests (another deeper MRI to see more closely how bad the fracture is in her back and an ultrasound to view the cyst on her kidney.) Then, we see what decisions we must make based on those results.

But again, my joy at hearing that her labs were basically clean outweighs it all. It made me realize again how I  must treasure every moment, every celebration, every gift from God! I need to see the prize(s) right in front of me every day. That includes my husband, my kids, my friends and extended family, my ministry and church, and life and my God.

Not everyone gets the "all clear," I know. Not everyone even gets the scares to have that moment of fear. But everyone has one life to live. Join me in making every second count!

Thanks for your love, support, and prayers! 
The Loobies

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. Indeed, God is the great Physician and we trust Him with those scary moments of uncertainties. He is also a patient and omniscient Master Teacher who wisely instructs and corrects our hearts. We rejoice for the encouraging news and the beautiful story God is writing for your family.

    ReplyDelete