Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rejoicing in Death

Morbid title...nope. Last week, my coworker Pat died unexpectantly. Ever since, I've been thinking a lot about death. Not unusual, I don't think. The same thing happened when my neighbor died almost one year ago. It hits you so hard. Now, I'm thinking about death and my own dad.

My dad has had several heart attacks and many heart procedures over the last few years. His latest problem is that his heart is out of rhythm...and there's no hope, outside a miracle, that it will be fixed. He's already been shocked back into rhythm dozens of times and just two months ago, he had an experimental procedure that if it worked could have fixed it. It didn't. Now, he lives with whacked out blood pressure, rapid pulse, dizziness and horrible lethargy. Basically, his quality of life stinks.

This makes me think about death. Can you really prepare for someone's death? And...can we rejoice in death? Yes, we can. In the case of Pat...I know she is with the Lord. She loved and served him for more than 50 years. She was sickly, old beyond her years and nearly deaf ever since I've known her. Now, she is in the presence of the Lord...healthy, happy and hearing. I rejoice in that thought.

The good thing in all this thinking is that it makes me want to be with the Lord too. But until that day, it makes me want to make sure I am right with Him, ensure that I am teaching my kids Truth and that I am sharing the Truth of the Gospel with those who have yet to hear or receive. He IS real! And He is coming back again. Join me in getting our "houses" in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment